Saturday, June 5, 2010

Souvlaki is a beautiful thing




Whenever I am in Montreal, I seem to quickly accrue a list of restaurants and foods that I must sample before my time in the city is up. Montreal smoked meat, Fairmont bagels, "Au Pied due Cochon," "Gibby's," all kinds of bakeries, Indian, Pakistani, Guyanese, "Orange Julep", Lebanese, greasy spoon breakfast at "La Binerie Mont Royal,".....

The list can go on and on and on....

All this to tell you that if I can't have it all, I only want one thing food-wise when I am in Montreal: Souvlaki!!!! Doesn't have to be fancy (although Montreal has some AMAZING fancier greek joints), just has to be garlicky, and juicy and smoky-charred and fresh.

Simple put, "Elatos" on Jarry St., has some of the best souvlaki ever.

Elatos offers pork and chicken souvlaki. Their chicken is without exception some of the most deliciously marinated and off the wall juiciest. Besides the standard souvlaki in pita, Elatos also offers three specials. These include pork and chicken souvlaki with french fries and feta (along with the regular accoutrements of tzatziki, tomato and onion). The third special is a pork and lamb gyro pita with french fries, feta, tzatziki, tomato, onion, AND MUSTARD!! I've been kind of obsessed with mustard these days, and was feeling adventurous, so I ordered the chicken souvlaki elatos special WITH mustard. It was wonderful.


Elatos has great greek salad dressing. I love greek salad. So refreshing.


We also ordered a small plate of gyro and tzatziki with toasted pita to make impromptu little sandwiches. The gyro is mainly pork with a light contribution of lamb. Just enough to deepen the taste and make their gyro extra savory.


I miss you already Elatos!!


No comments:

Post a Comment